Wallisdown residents are being encouraged to think about how much food they throw out as national figures show the average family wastes £50 of food a month.
In Bournemouth a massive 38 per cent of all rubbish thrown in the Little Bin (refuse) is food and the Council’s Recycling Team is encouraging residents to think more about food waste to help reduce the amount and save money too. The Council is supporting the ‘Love Food Hate Waste’ campaign urging people to think about how they use shop, store and cook food items they buy.
Top Five Food Waste Tips
- Learn to use your freezer better
- Use an online portion calculator for items such as potatoes, rice pasta – often too much is cooked and thrown away.
- Plan a weekly menu and use it to draw up a shopping list
- Learn how to maximise your leftovers through recipe ideas found at www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/recipes
- Stock up your store cupboard on long life essentials and herbs and spices to jazz up everyday food items